About a year ago, my money tree was doing poorly. Its leaves were falling and turning brown and I wasn’t completely sure what was wrong with it. After doing some online research, I found out that I was overwatering it. I also found out that—most likely—it did not like being in the hallway where there were constant airdrafts.
By the time its health stabilized, the tree looks sad and depleted. It had long skinny branches with only a few leaves left on it. I considered getting rid of it altogether. Surely a money tree without leaves was bad omen?
Instead, I decided to try a little experiment.
My money tree had 4 branches, braided from the base. I considered one of the branches and cut it right where it emerged from the braiding, just above the first clear node. I knew if the branch grew back, it would grow back from that node. I left the 3 other branches alone.
And then I waited.
For the next 3 weeks, I scrutinized that branch every day. Nothing happened. It was disappointing. I really thought I had killed the branch.
I left to go visit my family in France, and when I came back, on week 5, I noticed a tiny bump on the node. It was a bud!! After 2 more weeks, the bud had grown into 2 little leaves, still working hard to unfold themselves.
I decided the experiment was successful and pruned the 3 other branches, making sure to cut each of them above a node. I also made sure to consider the orientation of the nodes, as I didn’t want all the new branches to grow in the same direction.
Again, it took several weeks for these branches to start budding again, but they did. It’s been a little over a year now and my money tree looks bigger and better than it ever has.
I am glad I didn’t give up on it.