Cup Shelf Project

This is a cup shelf I made last summer.

Here is the process of making it. It all started with a drawing during lunch. I was feeling hungry for a creative process and decided to try out ideas for a cup shelf. After w few drafts I came up with this.

Next, I redrew it with measurements.

Then, off to the lumber store. I thought it was a surprising amount of wood for such a small shelf. But I guess it has a lot of dividers that add to the quantity of material I needed.

I got almost exactly the right amount of lumber so I made cardboard templates to make sure I planned out my cuts properly.

Lumber cut. Next, before I start with the joints I just wanted to make sure the cups would indeed fit. Looks good so far!

For the main structure of the shelf I am just using a simple Half-Lap joint. I just cut them out with a jigsaw. Kinda rough, but when you don’t have a shop you have to make do.

This is a dry fit of the Half-Lap joints. They are quite strong! Now time for the smaller dividers to be added.

I ended up screwing the dividers in. Not very fancy I know. I wanted to cover the screw head though. In the past I have covered then with dowels. This time I thought it would be fun to cover them with square blocks of wood and to make them look like exposed Mortise and Tenon joints. This is how it looks with the resesess carved and the screws in place.

Carving the recesses was a long and tedious process, but also satisfying. Once each part of the shelf was screwed together the I would fill the recesses with blocks of wood to finish the look of the exposed joints. It is the beautiful time of day to take pictures. Gosh, I wish they all looked this good.

Assembly finished! Shelf sanded! First coat of oil applied!

And after another couple coats of oil.

And finally it is up on the wall and filled with pots! Even though I know projects like this always take me more time than I expect, this still took 3 or 4 times longer than my estimate. It was a lot of fun though. Making this post has made me want to do another shelf project sometime soon!